Friday, February 21, 2014

Krusty Korn(bread) Kobs




WagnerWare Krusty Korn Kob mold

I love cornbread.  I have a shirt that says so.  And when the wind comes a'whipping across the fields, nothing goes better with that simmering pot of chili than hot, buttered cornbread.  Several years ago I had the good fortune to find a Krusty Korn Kob cast iron mold at a car show swap meet.  It was indeed very crusty, rusty and generally the sort of thing you only picked up with two fingers. Once the years of use were removed via my husband's sandblaster, I found quite a lot of writing on the backside.  It reads "Junior Krusty Korn Kobs Reg. in U.S. Pat. Off. Wagner Ware Sidney OH Pat'd July 6, 1920."  It hangs above my stove, and the kids whoop for joy when they see it missing.



The corncobs are a fun addition to dinner, and no harder to do than muffins.  A hotdog, cut length-wise and laid in with the batter, makes a pretty darn good corndog, too!



So keep your chili pots cooking and your ovens baking.
We'll make it through this Winter one cornbread at a time!

7 comments:

  1. sounds delicious!
    just made the weekly bread, with dinkel flour. (it´s the same word in english - interesting)
    and not much more then yeast and spices. i was never a big bread eater, but with homemade bread now i´m hooked. how do you make the dough? corn is not so common here ...
    adore your stove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cornbread batter is pretty simple:

      1 egg
      1 c milk
      3/4 cup corn meal
      1 1/2 cup flour
      2 tablespoons sugar
      2 teaspoon baking powder
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1 teaspoon salt

      Mix well. Bake at 350 degrees. Muffins take about 10-12 minutes. 9inch square pan takes about 15-18 minutes.

      Delete
  2. I have one of those - never thought of corn dogs...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have one too. they make dinner a bit more fun in what's now become the Midwest Tundra. And I agree - cornbread is a must-have with chili! Love the idea of corn dogs, we'll try that, thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one of these...don't know if it is the exact same pan and maker YOUR Junior pan seems bigger than the one I have here.
    I got it from my Momma's house-- and like Dicky Bird above... I'd never thought of dogs either.
    Now I'm just curious...could you use pancake batter and bacon too?!
    The wheels are spinning now...
    thanks for sharing this.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't see why not! Bacon pancakes, yum! They'd bake pretty fast, I would think. I'll have to give that a try.

      Delete

Thanks for your thoughts! Come back to visit again soon!