So obviously I'm going for the fashion statement of the century here. Today I had planned to stay home and clean the house, hence the rollers. Well, as you can see, I am home, but not cleaning. My sewing machine sucked me in.
I decided to tackle the pirate pants. Clean bathrooms are overrated anyways. These were actually very fun to sew. I used a pattern posted on Multiculturalism for Steampunk. This blog has been a great source for my Turkish-inspired costume. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Miss Kagashi is updating her blog anymore, but her source material is excellent.
I also added a 7" zipper at the centerback and black satin ties to close the waist. The waistband is made from the black tapestry that I used to make the vest (you haven't seen that yet). So now all four major pieces are finished: the shirt, jacket, vest and pants. And I am in "embellishment mode." The whole ensemble is on my dressform, and I keep draping braid and lace and tassels and belts and chains to find just the right effect. Typical conservative me has to push the limit of trims and then push it a bit more to really get that true steampunk feel.
Check back here if you're curious about how this all started.